If you're looking for a dessert that's both delicious and visually stunning, look no further than this swirled blackberry lavender loaf cake. The combination of juicy blackberries and fragrant lavender creates a delicate balance of flavours that's sure to impress. The cake itself is light and fluffy, with a tender crumb that practically melts in your mouth. The blackberry and lavender preserve swirls running throughout the cake create a beautiful marbled effect that's as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate.
To make this cake, you'll need fresh blackberries and dried culinary lavender. The lavender provides a subtle floral note that complements the sweetness of the blackberries perfectly. The two flavours are swirled together in the batter, creating a beautiful marbled effect that's both striking and delicious. To top it all off, this cake is finished with a simple glaze made from powdered sugar, lemon and blackberry lavender preserve. The tartness of the lemon adds a bright note to the cake and helps to balance out the sweetness.
This cake is perfect for any occasion, from a high tea to a casual afternoon chai. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra indulgent treat.
Let's make it together :) Please do leave a comment if you make this and follow us on Instagram @aliabakesto, Enjoy!
Blackberry Lavender Cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 55 minutes
Rest time: 2 hour
Total time: 3 hour, 10 minutes
240g all-purpose flour
2 eggs (8 Tbsp yogurt for eggless version)
1 tsp lavender buds
75ml melted butter
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Blackberry Lavender preserve
3/4 cup blackberry
1/4 cup blueberry
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp lavender buds
1 cup icing sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp preserve
1. Preserve: In a pot mix the blackberries and blueberries, lavender buds and sugar. Let it cook on medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Simmer until the berries look less chunkier (5 minutes). Remove from the heat and cool at room temperature. This can be made a day in advance or can be replaced with a ready-made preserve.
2. Cake: Preheat the oven at 325F and line a baking loaf pan, with butter and parchment paper.
3. In a bowl whip the egg, lavender buds and sugar . Add flour, milk, baking powder and melted butter to the bowl. Mix until a homogenous mixture forms.
4. In a prepared baking pan, layer the cake batter with blackberry lavender preserve (adding a few dollops in each layer), finally sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar on top. Bake for 55 minutes or until an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and rest for 1 hour.
6. Glaze: In a bowl mix the icing sugar, lemon juice and preserve. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and let it set for 1 hour. Slice and enjoy!
Note: The cake can be stored in an airtight container and kept refrigerated for up to 1 week.