It is finally mango season and I had to share the mango bhapa Doi recipe, it is a Bengali dessert recipe that is made with thick Yogurt and sugar, typically flavoured with cardamom and saffron, it's absolutely delicious and easy to make.
This recipe of Mango Bhapa Doi is a twist on the classic, traditional recipe by adding mango pulp to the yogurt mixture. You can actually add any fruit purées and top it with fresh fruit, it is actually high in protein and packed with probiotics, minerals and vitamins. I have used sweet condensed milk but you can replace it with jaggery and coconut sugar if you want it refined sugar free and more healthy :)
Let's make it together :) Please do leave a comment if you make this and subscribe/follow us on our website and Instagram @aliabakesto, Enjoy!
Mango Bhapa Doi
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Rest time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours,40 minutes
1 cup greek yogurt/labneh
1/4 cup mango purée
1/4 cup sweet condensed milk/jaggery/coconut sugar
Pinch of saffron
1. Mixture: In a bowl add the labneh/greek yogurt, mango pulp, condensed milk and saffron strands. Using a hand whisk, mix the ingredients really well making sure there are no lumps.
2. Pour the mixture into ramekins or silicone moulds. Don’t fill it to the brim. Cover the tops with aluminum foil and wrap it tightly.
3. Steaming: bring the steamer with enough water to heat, place the covered bowls and close the lid. Steam for 30 minutes on medium flame.
4. When the tops are no longer wobbly and look set, remove from heat/oven. Let them come down to room temperature.
5. Assembly: Set them in fridge until ready to serve (minimum 1 hour) and garnish with fresh cut mango pieces, mixed nuts or edible florals.