Coffee and Vanilla Marble Cake
Updated: Apr 26
Okay so here is the story behind this creation... Today marks the 23th night of Ramadan (Lailatul Qadr), a night on which God first revealed the Qurʾān to Prophet Muhammad through the angel Gabriel (Jibrīl). It is a night where we pray all night long from Sunset to Sunrise. As a kid I'd go to the mosque with my family and pray all night long sitting right next to my dadima (grandma). At around midnight we'd be served with Indian style milk coffee and cake and I always looked forward to it as there was just something so special and comforting about the coffee and cake served at mosque.
This marble cake is an ode to so many Lailalut Qadr nights spent praying sitting right next to my dadima, oh how much I miss her. Z and I have continued this tradition at home. I have been making coffee and cake every year on Lailatul Qadr and we typically have it after our prayers instead of at midnight.
Let's make it together :) Please do leave a comment if you make this and subscribe/follow us on our website and Instagram @aliabakesto, Enjoy!
Coffee and Vanilla Marble cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 50 minutes
Rest time: 1 hour
Total time: 2 hours
1 tsp vanilla bean paste/extract
135g whole milk
2 1/2 Tbsp oil/melted butter
1 tsp instant coffee powder
11/2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat the oven at 325F and line a baking pan (I've used 6"), with butter and parchment paper.
2. In a bowl whip the egg, vanilla paste and sugar . Add flour, milk, baking powder and oil to the bowl. Mix until a homogenous mixture forms.
3. Divide the batter into 2 equal portions, 200g each. In one of the bowl add 1 tsp instant coffee powder and stir until it is all combined.
4. In a prepared baking pan, alternate adding the vanilla and coffee batter on top of each other, creating a zebra like pattern. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and rest for 1 hour, slice and enjoy!
Note: The cake can be stored in an airtight container and kept refrigerated for up to 1 week.