Coconut Barfi (Coconut Fudge) is a delightful Indian sweet made from grated coconut, sugar, and cardamom, cooked to a fudge-like consistency and cut into diamond or square-shaped pieces. It's a popular treat during festivals and celebrations in India, celebrated for its sweet, nutty flavor and grainy texture.
This easy and delicious recipe has been passed down to me by my grandmother, who used to make a variety of mithai (Indian desserts) every festive season for friends and family. With just a handful of ingredients, you can create this amazing barfi. If you decide to make these coconut barfis, please share your experience in the comments or tag me on Instagram. I love to see your creations! Enjoy the sweetness!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Rest time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 4 hours
200g grated fresh/frozen coconut
75ml heavy cream/whole milk
75g grated khoya (milk fudge)
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 Tbsp slivered pistachios
1 Tsp saffron strands
Edible gold or silver leaf (arak)
1. In a pan, mix coconut, ground cardamom, and cream. Let it sit for about 15 minutes. While waiting, prepare a baking tray by lining it with parchment paper and greasing it with ghee.
2. Cook the coconut and cream mixture over medium heat for 5 minutes until it thickens and becomes pasty.
3. Add sugar and khoya, then continue to cook over medium heat for 10 more minutes until the sugar and khoya have melted and combined into a fudge-like mixture.
4. Transfer the mixture to the lined baking tray, gently press and flatten it. Sprinkle slivered pistachios, saffron, and edible gold leaf over the top.
5. Let it cool at room temperature, then transfer it to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set.
6. Once set, cut the barfi into your desired shapes and serve. Enjoy your delicious Coconut Barfi!