A classic combination “chocolate and vanilla”, it sounds simple and is truly simple to make! It is a no-fail recipe perfect for teatime, or even toasted with some jam and whipped butter for breakfast in bed during the weekend. Words cannot describe how good this cake is. It is so good that I made it twice within one week… And yes, we finished every bit of the cake, my little one dunked the cake slices in milk while I ate it with chai. Well, it is just a lovable cake.
Chocolate and Vanilla marble cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour
Rest Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
4 eggs (room temperature)
1 ½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup crème fraiche or Greek yogurt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup, 2 Tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 vanilla pod
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F and butter a loaf pan. Line the buttered pan with parchment paper. Keep it aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the eggs and sugar. Using an electric mixer, whip on medium speed until pale yellow. Add the crème fraiche or Greek yogurt and melted butter and mix again.
3. Add the flour and baking powder, mix until combined.
4. Separate the mixture into two separate bowls. Add the vanilla bean paste in one bowl and the cocoa powder in another bowl. Using a spatula or spoon stir the mixtures separately until the spices have combined into a homogenous mixture.
5. Using 2 different spoons, alternate adding the mixtures (one scoop at a time) into the prepared loaf pan. Once all added, using a wooden skewer (or the back of a spoon) swirl the mixtures. By doing this, once baked it will have nice swirls of the two flavors on each slice of the pound cake.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Let the cake cool for 30 minutes before unmolding it from the loaf pan. Once cooled removed from the loaf pan and serve.
Storage tip: The pound cake is best enjoyed on the same day, but it can be wrapped in a plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.